Friday, April 25, 2014

Socialization: The Self and Social Interaction


One significant agent of socialization would be friends. Our peers offer us a different view on the world. Most of the time, their opinions and their influence can become much more powerful/significant than one's family. That's why it's always important to have a good group of friends!

School is another important form of socialization. This is a picture of the high school I graduated from. It taught me discipline, punctuality, and my Armenian values. If I did not attend an Armenian private school, I don't think I would be the same person I am today.

Family is definitely the most important agent of socialization because one's family is responsible for instilling values and morals in an individual from a young age. The way someone presents themselves is an example of how their family raised them.

Before this picture was taken, my best friend had jokingly nudged my stomach, which is why I'm standing at an odd angle. She does not follow the feeling rules - which would be to comfort me - and instead, she laughs and stands there casually. What a friend!

Unfortunately, mass media plays an influential role in society. The following magazines - Vanity Fair, US Weekly, Cosmo - have a strong impact on girls and their self-image.

No comments:

Post a Comment